The Atmiyata Course: Providing Evidence-based Mental Health Support
The course is designed for people who want to provide mental health support using evidence-based techniques. It may be particularly relevant for people with lived experiences, care providers, teachers, educators, mid-level to senior managers, team supervisors, HR professionals, self-motivated individuals, general medical practitioners, mental health professionals, non-profit organisations working on mental health and allied fields such as gender, caste, livelihood, other physical health conditions, and others.
Over three weekends, participants will learn more about:
(i) common mental health conditions
(ii) active listening, behavioural activation, problem solving, and relaxation techniques, and
This will be followed by a group check-in session (2 weeks post course completion) where participants can share their experience of applying their learnings to real-life situations. To know more about the individual modules and sessions, please refer to the section ‘course structure’ below.
This intervention was scientifically evaluated, and based on its encouraging results, we aim to adapt and disseminate our learnings to a wider audience to make mental health support accessible to all.
Participants who successfully complete the course will receive a certificate from the Centre for Mental Health Law & Policy, Indian Law Society, Pune.
This is an ONLINE course. Classes will be conducted on weekends between 10:00 AM to 12:00 PM IST.
Please note: This course is meant to enhance one’s capacity for self-care, informal mental health care and support to one’s family, friends & colleagues. It does not equip, qualify, certify or recognise one as a clinical psychologist, psychotherapist, or any other mental health professional for providing clinical, diagnostic or therapeutic services to persons with mental health issues.
This course will equip you with:
- An understanding of mental health and mental health conditions
- Evidence-based techniques to reach out to persons in distress (Anxiety & Depression)
- Techniques for self-help
- Conceptual & practical knowledge of tools to provide mental health support
The total duration of the course is: 14 hours, divided between 7 days. These are spread over 3 weekends with each session lasting 2 hours. This will be followed by a 2-hour group check-in session, 2 weeks post course completion. The medium of instruction will be English.
- Interactive: The sessions include case studies and role plays followed by a feedback session.
- Individualised: Each intake has a maximum of 15 participants to ensure that they receive adequate support and attention through the learning process.
- Engaging: Participants are provided with reading material and workbooks to anchor and improve the experience of learning online.
Module 1: Mental health is a spectrum
- Understanding mental health, stress, and distress
- Coping mechanisms
Module 2: Knowing more about common and severe mental health conditions
- Common mental health conditions: Depression & Anxiety
- Severe mental health conditions and referral pathway
- Understanding grief
Module 3: Knowing more about suicide
- Overview of suicide and referral pathway
Module 4: Knowing more about social determinants of mental health
- Impact of socio-cultural factors on mental health
Module 5: Qualities of a good mental health supporter
- Key ingredients for providing support
Module 6: Learning evidence-based techniques for providing mental health support
- Active listening
- Problem solving
- Behavioural activation
Module 7: Relaxation techniques
- Learning and practising relaxation techniques
Module 8: Practice sessions to support persons in distress
- Supporting persons who are grieving and/ or dealing with Anxiety/ Depression
- Role plays for practising techniques
Module 9: Knowing more about self-care
- Self-care tips and techniques
Application Process & Fee
Participants are required to submit their application forms online. As we have small batch sizes for this course, the team will shortlist the final cohort.
Open to all, unless specified in the course announcement.
INR 12,290 + 18% GST
We strongly believe that nobody should be held back from applying to the course due to financial constraints. Furthermore, given the current situation, we all need to have access to tools and resources for mental health support. Please let us know in the application form if you would need a fee reduction.